Sunday, October 12, 2008

Updates and yee dee dee

Went to esozone today. Didn't stay past the first lecture- I had enough to think about (not really about what Freeman was talking about- I kinda spun off from there). I did a lot of really good thinking today, and have more to do.

What derailed my thinking, you ask? Stopping for lunch at Virgo and Pisces. ==edited out long story of how I sat there for a really long time and no one waited on me even though I asked nicely==

I'm thinking about - ta DAA! - the FUTURE! (As if you couldn't tell by reading my blog lately). But there seems to be this increased awareness and discussion and investment in The Future lately, and I'm toying with various ideas.

Upcoming of note: Where Camp. Also, Sarah Vowell is doing a reading this week, and Todd Haynes is doing a Q&A at the Whitsell on Wednesday. Would I rather do that than watch the debates? Oh yes.

Matt says the kitten's eyes are open, but I haven't seen it for a while. I'm a little bummed about that.

I've been trying to track down an amazing essay by George Bernard Shaw on poverty, but the google isn't helping me. I was thinking a lot about it today.

In lieu of that, how about some Rilke?

The Angel

With a slight tilt of his forehead he rejects
everything that hems in and obliges;
for the wide circles of the eternal Coming
move hugely erected through his heart.

The deep heavens stand before him full of shapes,
and each may call to him: come, know me--,
Give his light hands nothing to hold
of your burdens. Otherwise they'll come at night

to you, to test you with a fiercer grip,
and go like someone angry through your house
and seize you as if they'd created you
and break you out of your mold.

No comments: