Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Time!

(I once read a book that was talking about empirical reality. The writers pointed out that the basis of "cogito ergo sum" was because Descartes couldn't conceive of his own self not existing, and likewise no human can escape the perception of Time. It's hard-wired into our brains, and it is so "massively persuasive" that it lends itself to the idea of empiricism.)

My head just swims from time to time- from the Long Now and the future 10,000 years from now, to Superstruct, where it's 02019 and the race is extinct by 02044, to the seeming urgency of current political and economic news, to the book I'm reading that takes place in the Renaissance...

I've never experienced this before- normally I live about a year from Now. The Now just slides by without my paying much attention to it, and all my goals and expectations are a year out. When the year comes, I see how far I got, then set the plan for the next year and proceed to keep my eye firmly fixed on that. Every once in a while, the Now really grabs my attention for a moment, but then it's only for a moment as the crisis passes or the pleasure fades, and then there I am with my future lenses on again.

But currently my now is jumping from time to time, and each demands my measured consideration, my appropriate response. "How would I act differently if I expected my actions to impact people 10000 years from now? How will I act 10 years from now to save people 20 years from then? How will I act on November 4th?" These multiple perspectives compete with each other, drive me in different directions, make me unsure of what to do Next. It's c-ah-rrrazy!

No comments: