Monday, October 6, 2008

How did I miss this?

Just watched Dr Horrible's Sing Along Blog yesterday. I remember hearing something about it, but blah blah lost in the shuffle. It's delightful! I bought it on iTunes, not only because I believe in paying for content I like, but also so that I can watch it again and again.

The Long Now blog has a great post about conversing with a person vs a machine, and how you can tell the difference. It's a funny conversation- see if you can tell which is which. Also, tell me what a dubject is.

The Superstruct game was supposed to launch today, but they tell me it will be running in the morning. The game is based on some studies done by the Institute for the Future (click around that link, you'll find them) that predict the extinction of the human race by 02042 or so, due to a lethal combination of factors (disease, food shortages, competition for energy, etc). So they have started this MMO to see if people can't solve those problems. Essentially, the game will be running various scenarios to see if the actions the players take will positively impact the survivability of the species. I'm really interested in it, although more as a spectator than as a participant. It's the opposite of the Long Now.

I've been thinking about how I intended this blog to be about connection, about responding to and interacting with a larger community, but, like so many of my undertakings, it has become mostly about my private thoughts. I don't want it to become a journal, though, so my hope is that over time the comments will become a source of interaction and response, to open up the conversation. I have to admit, for that reason, I'm more interested in promoting this blog than I would be otherwise. So welcome and hail, my two subscribers! Kisses!

Finally, let's close with another poem:

Lucille Clifton- i am not done yet

as possible as yeast
as imminent as bread
a collection of safe habits
a collection of cares
less certain than i seem
more certain than i was
a changed changer
i continue to continue
where i have been
most of my lives is
where i'm going

1 comment:

Le Stew said...

I love Dr. Horrible's Sing along Blog. In fact Melissa bought me a Captain Hammer tee shirt...it's awesome!