Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Tweets and stuff

If anyone wants to tweet with me, I'm @rvillon. I should have created a separate twitter ID for superstruct, but I'm just mixing it up because I can multi-task like that.

I'm a little discouraged with superstruct. The site is glitchy, which makes it hard to follow up on discussions, and then suddenly today we went from 02060 all the way back down to 02044 for no reason that I could see. One of the things I've been thinking about a lot today (but can't really communicate to other players) is that I feel like art is a pretty low priority, in a Maslow's-hierarchy-of-needs kind of way. How can my work as an animation producer speak to the needs of people who are hungry, and cold, and sick? Particularly if there is a technological barrier to them even seeing the work I produce? In the face of human suffering, entertainment media seems pretty trivial.
So I've been looking instead to the 3D design/CAD engineering aspect of the work, particularly as it pertains to rapid prototyping. If we assume that that technology decreases in price and increases in functionality over the next ten years (which is a reasonable assumption, given the rate of change in technology), then we can envision a future in which designs can be transmitted to various machines globally, and devices can be "printed" locally, on demand, saving the energy consumption of moving consumer goods around the planet. So what kinds of things can be made from resins and plastics, that have a minimum of moving parts, that people really need, that can improve the human condition?

Finally, I just found out today that the Evil League of Evil is accepting applicants, but the deadline is Saturday. I would LOVE to do this, but don't have enough time. So for the record, I am the villainous Kat Nipp*, controller of cats! I've placed my minions in millions of homes. Even now they are asleep on your comfy chairs, consuming your treats, and yet ignoring everything you say, waiting for my command to leap into action, honing their skills on small prey. Soon my henchmen will be incorporated into key households, with full access to world governments and economic systems, and then the world will come to know the full evil of Kat NIPP! What I need: crazy costume (check!), video facilities (check!), and a whole lot of borrowed cats (?). Also, I'd like an effects shot of me walking down the street being followed by hundreds of cats.



*Kat Nipp character copyright Rebekah Villon, 2008.

No comments: